The repair of Precast Reinforced Concrete (PRC) Homes
Many PRC homes were built following the Second World War when there was an urgent need for housing at a time when traditional building materials and skilled labour were in short supply. This led to the construction of low cost ‘Non Traditional’ and easily erected properties. These houses were only ever meant to be a short-term solution to the challenge.
Tens of thousands of PRC properties still remain and structural repairs are needed because of the effect of concrete carbonation and other issues. Additionally, mortgage lenders show a reluctance to continue to lend on these properties, or to offer home insurance, leaving ownersand tenants wishing to buy with few options.
The BRE Global scheme will enable all necessary repairs to be made according to robust specifications relevant to each property, meaning that repairs should only be carried out for essential items and should not be prohibitively expensive.
Approved repairs should enhance the energy performance, extend the normal life, and improve the saleability of the property. Bad repairs can be unsafe and threaten the ability of the home owner to secure a mortgage on the property or insure it a reasonable price, if at all.
The new certification scheme has 3 key elements:
- Register of repair Specifications (Specifications to be reviewed by BRE)
- Register of Practitioners (who will be certified as a competent person)
- Register of repaired properties (which will be used by third parties, e.g. by mortgage lenders, to assure themselves of a robust repair)
The scheme will provide:
- Qualified practitioners (who design and undertake the repair of the PRC home for the homeowners)
- Confidence to third parties, e.g. mortgage lenders, that the repair has been undertaken properly to an agreed and robust specification.
The Scheme will allow BREEAM Refurbishment assessments to be undertaken if required.
Individual mortgage lenders have stated their support of the scheme. The scheme will provide mortgage lenders and home insurers with confidence that the repair has been undertaken satisfactorily and will provide reassurance to lend the money, enabling the home owner to purchase and insure the house.
Service provided by BRE Global Ltd