MediaCityUK and BREEAM Communities
Case study: Development on a huge waterfront site at Salford QuaysMediaCityUK is a long-term development situated on a huge waterfront site at Salford Quays, just a few minutes from central Manchester. The first phase, spread over 36 acres, will be completed in 2011, when the BBC and the University of Salford will be anchor tenants. MediaCityUK is being developed and managed by Peel Media, a division of the Peel Group, one of the leading property and transport companies in the UK, with an asset value approaching £7 billion. In total, Peel Media's investment in phase one of MediaCityUK will amount to £500 million.
- Phase one occupies 36 acres of a potential 200 acres of former dockland
- Potential for employment for 15,500 people and up to 1,500 trainee posts over the next ten years (Amion Consulting)
- Provides 7 million square feet of new and refurbished floor space for business, retail and residential use
- Potential to accommodate over 1000 businesses over the next decade
- All buildings on site will be BREEAM certified
- Opportunities for local businesses
- Local training and education opportunities
- Local sourcing of environmentally friendly products
- xtensive community consultation through Salford City Council and the North West Regional Development Agency (NWDA)
MediaCityUK is one of the first developments to use the new BREEAM Communities methodology. Frank Mills of SKM has played a key role in piloting the scheme for MediaCityUK. He said: "Our client Peel Media had seen the benefit of BREEAM in the design and construction of each building on the new MediaCityUK - Peel have committed to BREEAM targets on every building across the development - and were keen to extend this approach across the site to achieve a truly environmentally friendly regeneration of a former dockland site alongside the Manchester Ship Canal in Salford. The public squares, piazzas and waterfront will achieve community benefits through place making. Peel have encouraged local businesses to get involved and set up companies to support the construction and ongoing operation of the site. MediaCityUK is an exemplar of BREEAM Communities as it has embodied BREEAM principles from the outset across this city's buildings - offices, studios, car parks, retail, residential, hotels, education, health - to achieve a truly leading-edge modern low carbon , environmentally friendly city".