NSC Research and Development
Centre of excellence for solar innovation in the UK
Role of our research
Our research unites valuable knowledge and experience from industry, universities, business and other research organisations to promote industry cohesion, growth and fuel continuous improvement in product quality.
Focused on open collaboration, we engage in a wide range of research projects to enabling the solar industry to develop and thrive.
Through our research we collaborate widely to create an evidence-based foundation for future solar technologies, installers and financiers. As a respected voice for the solar sector, our investigations provide independent, scientifically robust information, research and analysis.
Our focus is on generating knowledge, increasing marketplace confidence and helping the industry capitalise on a wealth of commercial and sustainability opportunities.
A selection of our research:
- Photovoltaics and Fire Safety project (if you have an incident to report please contact us)
- Solar data collection and analysis to provide solar performance mapping and short term forecasting (with University of Exeter and Met Office)
- Assessment of solar electricity to solar thermal “diverter” products for domestic properties
- Smart Solar Hub test site
- Solar car parking canopies
- Information provision for enabling the midscale roof market
- Support for solar representation (ENA Distributed Generation DNO meetings)
- Large scale solar energy storage (WPD and British Solar Renewables)
- Best practice in selecting DC Isolators for PV systems
- Best practice guides for large scale solar – planning; biodiversity; agriculture
Development of a national map representing predicted solar yield levels for improved performance prediction.
Development of short terms (1 to 3 day) electricity yield forecasts for large scale solar systems (ground mount and large roofs)
This is a research project with partners British Solar Renewables and Western Power Distribution. It is funded via the Low Carbon Networks Fund (LCNF)
The BRE's portfolio of definitive reports, investigations and guidance on the subject of solar energy can be found in Our Library.
To find out more or sign up to our newsletter email: email@example.com
To discuss how we can work to support you please give us a call: +44 (0)1726 871830
BRE National Solar Centre