news from the BRE Group
This press release is over six months old and the details may have been superseded. Please contact the Press Office for the latest information.
Green Guide Online - One Year On
The Green Guide to Specification went online a year ago and now has over eleven and a half thousand registered users. These users can access over 2000 specifications and the latest updates include the ratings for floor finishes. BRE Global continues to work with industry to develop and increase the range of materials and specifications included in the Green Guide.
Ratings on the Green Guide provide very useful guidance but it is not intended that specifiers should make decisions based on this information alone. The embodied environmental impacts of building materials and components measured in the Green Guide are just part of the overall sustainability of a building as measured in Industry standard schemes such as BREEAM and the Code for Sustainable Homes.
BRE Global is continually enhancing the Green Guide online and is actively developing many areas including:
- Presenting Green Guide Ratings for manufacturer specific products allowing them to differentiate themselves away from the generic profile rating.
- Releasing Ecopoint values for generic and manufacturer specific profiles thus providing further evidence for ‘Best in Category' product profile over a Generic profile.
- Allowing users to compile their own bespoke specifications and determine the environmental performance of these with the forthcoming launch of the Green Guide Calculator
- Information Papers later in the year which will include "Performance and Service life in the Environmental Profiles Methodology and Green Guide to Specification" and "The Green Guide Explained".
- ENDS -
Press enquiries: HELEN BALL, 01923 664303, email@example.com
Notes for Editors
1 Environmental Profiles Methodology and the Green Guide to Specification Online
The Environmental Profiles methodology and the Green Guide were subjected to a wide-ranging consultation exercise, with many stakeholders representing international as well as national interests, and covers both domestic and imported products using a common Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) approach..
In the Green Guide online, building materials and components are assessed in terms of their environmental impact across their entire life cycle - from ‘cradle to grave', within comparable specifications. This accessible and reliable information will be of great assistance to all those involved in the design, construction and management of buildings as they work to reduce the environmental impact of their properties.
Copyright: All information in the Green Guide to Specification online is copyright BRE Global Ltd. No user of the Green Guide has the right to publish information, in any form, from the Green Guide online. The website content remains copyright of BRE Global Ltd and any third party publication must first obtain the written permission of BRE Global Ltd.
2 BRE Global Limited (incorporating LPCB & BREEAM) is an independent third party approvals body offering certification of fire, security and sustainability products and services to an international market. BRE Global's product testing and approvals are carried out by recognised experts in our world renowned testing laboratories. We are custodian of a number of world leading brands including:
- - LPCB for the approval of fire and security products and services, listed in the Red Books
- - BREEAM, the world's leading environmental assessment method for buildings, which sets the standard for best practice in sustainable design and has become the de-facto measure of a building's environmental performance.
Our mission is to ‘Protect People, Property and the Planet' and we are a trading subsidiary of the BRE Trust, the registered research and education charity which owns the BRE Group. For further information please contact: BRE Global, Garston, Watford, WD25 9XX, Tel: 01923 664100, Fax: 01923 664910, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit http://www.breglobal.com/
Follow BRE Group online: