Excess Cold Calculator (XCC)
Supporting Environmental Health Practitioners and Technical Officers in the assessment of Excess Cold in dwellings
The XCC assists Environmental Health Practitioners and Technical Officers in the assessment of the Excess Cold hazard in dwellings. Users enter information about a dwelling and its occupants and the calculator provides estimated running costs and information on the adequacy of the heating system.
The calculator has many benefits to local authorities, including:
- Informing decisions about the necessary remedial actions in enforcement cases
- BRE endorsed evidence for RPT hearings
- Assisting in discussions with landlords about works required
- May help avoid tribunal hearings by making the reasons for enforcement action clearer to landlords
- Heat loss calculator for individual rooms to assist in specifying radiator / storage heater sizes
- Can be used to determine if remedial actions are cost effective
- The tool can be re-run to test different improvement scenarios
Bristol City Council has found that the calculator has been very useful for informing the action required in cases. Our thanks to Ian Cole from Bristol City Council for supplying the case studies.