BRE's intelligent buildings group
21st Century homes and buildings have got to perform significantly better in, environmental, social and economic terms. The 6th utility - smart technology and infrastructure systems delivered by broadband - can help significantly not only in reducing CO2 emissions through energy management and monitoring systems and information systems that provide ‘sustainable choices' but it also has a critical role to play in making the homes and buildings we inhabit fit to support the UKs aging population.
BRE are working at the forefront of this area. The BRE Innovation Park demonstrates several cutting edge intelligent homes and buildings which trial out a range of smart and intelligent technologies. The Modern Built Environment Knowledge Transfer Network (a Government funded programme managed by BRE) is working with the British Homes Awards on a demonstration home that will be designed in line with the requirements of the aging population. It will be constructed in 2010 and will challenge current thinking on the design of flexible space for a 2/3 bed dwelling.
BRE is currently managing a £4.4 million research project funded by the Technology Strategy Board which explores the role of the 6th utility in future buildings and communities. Called the Assisted Living Innovation Platform, the project aims to identify the future needs of the marketplace and see how these can be met by new and improved intelligent technologies.
Our expertise in this emerging area is available to designers and developers and clients - it includes
- Information and communications networks
- Energy management and monitoring
- Security systems: CCTV, access control and intrusion detection; building safety and protection of building occupants
- HVAC (heating, ventilation and air conditioning), lighting and electrical equipment;
- assistive technologies within the home environment to manage unmet needs
- remote monitoring of the home environment and personal well-being (i.e. telecare) to manage risk and to provide information, advice, health coaching and response to emerging problems
- virtual presence interfaces and applications to overcome loneliness, isolation and depression and to enable people to socialise