Fire test facilities
Extensive laboratory facilities for fire detection and suppression research and testingBRE has extensive and unique world class facilities, including:
- Resistance and reaction to fire test rigs, including ad-hoc testing
- Modelling facilities including physical scale and numerical
- Burn hall with environmental protection.
In addition, extensive laboratory facilities are available for fire detection and suppression research and testing. BRE also has a well established capability to develop experimental facilities to meet the specific requirements of research.
Our facilities are located in four laboratories at Garston near Watford and include:
- BRE burn hall with smoke management used for determining heat release rates for input to fire safety engineering (FSE) design
- fire resistance furnace hall with smoke management
- 10 MW (9mx9m hood) calorimeter with optional sprinkler protection
- 2MW (3mx3m hood) calorimeter with option of ISO 9705 room corner test (reference test for the Euroclasses)
- sprinkler performance and distribution test facility
- LPS 1230 Fire suppression (halon replacement evaluation) performance facility
- BS 8414 external cladding test facility
- LPS 1181 sandwich panel performance test facility
- BS 476 all parts relevant to the Building Regulations (reaction to fire and fire resistance)
- all European fire tests relevant to the Building Regulations (reaction to fire and fire resistance)
- all three of the fire test methods that constitute DD ENV 1187 for external fire performance of roofs
- ad hoc space for fire recreations and ad hoc experiments
- analytical chemistry facilities for sampling of chemical species
- miscellaneous large-scale and intermediate-scale experimental rigs for studying linings, cable, other linear products etc
- fire detection and fire suppression testing to European and International standards; includes heat and smoke detectors, alarm panels, gaseous extinguishing systems, sprinklers etc
- CFD and risk based computational fire modelling suite.