The National Solar Centre
The BRE National Solar Centre will become the Centre for excellence and knowledge in the use of solar energy in the UK, providing a technical, trusted and independent voice for industry and related parties by providing industry led research, analysis, testing and training.
It represents all companies in the solar PV supply chain and provides evidence-based accurate information for related organisations. Beneficiaries will include solar companies throughout the supply chain as well as the government departments, network operators, utilities, insurance companies, investors, landowners/agents, the construction industry, local authorities, airport authorities and all potential customers.
In order for solar PV to become an industry with 22GW of installed capacity by 2020 there is a need for a centre which allows the industry to mature and thrive. DECC supports the development of a centre to facilitate this process. It will meet the need for impartial and credible information and will demonstrate industry cohesion.
The following functions will be facililitated by the NSC:
- The observatory – to provide a respected voice for solar PV in the UK and link to international best practice and provide investors with confidence to develop all types of projects in the UK
- Data analysis from existing installations to provide reviewed generation data that can be used by industry
- Provide a wide range of (design, large install, small install, O&M and sales) accredited training courses for a range of customer types from installers through to DNOs. Training will be offered in Cornwall and in London
- Conduct due diligence testing for large solar installations and optimisation of system design for existing sites
- Develop standards for better construction integration and for large system installations to compliment MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme)
- Provide linkages to university research both in the UK and internationally, provide advice on future technologies and assist in the development of new solar products, including PV-thermal hybrids and building integrated PV.
The NSC is run by BRE, which is recognised for its technical capabilities within both the construction and solar industries. Cornwall Council are fully supportive of the venture and related inward investment initiatives.
Located at the eco-community at St Austell in mid Cornwall, the site will have purpose built facilities including a solar farm and indoor and outdoor testing capabilities. Training will also be provided from BRE in Watford.
The BRE National Solar Centre was launched in central London in January 2013, and there was a full opening in mid-Cornwall in April.
As a means to generate revenue, a multi MW solar park will be developed adjacent to the NSC. Industry and related stakeholders are invited to financially contribute a one off payment to this solar park, which will provide long term income allowing the NCS to fully support the UK Solar industry in years to come. Contact us for more detail...
How to get involved?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Alternatively call Jonny Williams, NSC Project Manager on 01792 630107