Level 3 Diploma in Non-Domestic energy assessment
5 day face to face training including online learning modules
5 day face to face training including online learning modules
Why BRE? View the BRE Training video
As part of the governments plan to implement the Energy Performance of Buildings Directive, Energy Performance Certificates were introduced for commercial buildings or industrial premises in April 2008. From 2012 Non Domestic EPCs contain reference to the Green Deal and informs the customer on how they can benefit from the Green Deal.
The certification is undertaken by qualified and accredited non domestic energy assessors to prepare Energy Performance Certificates for buildings such as offices, retail, shops, industrial units, warehouses and other commercial buildings that use energy to heat or cool.
National Occupational Standards have been developed to define the competencies that will be required of Building Energy Assessors. These standards form the basis of vocational qualifications in non-domestic (commercial) energy assessment. The standards are unusual in that they describe three different levels of qualification:
Level 3 relates to simple existing buildings with commonly occurring characteristics that can be modelled using the Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM)
Level 4 relates to new and more complex existing buildings with substantial air conditioning systems that can be modelled using SBEM.
Level 5 relates to the most complex new and existing buildings that will need to be modelled using Dynamic Simulation models.
The diploma in non-domestic energy assessment (Level 3) route will be of interest to those with limited current experience of assessing the energy performance of commercial buildings. It will also be the preferred route for those who want a qualification that is portable between Accreditation Bodies.
If you are an energy specialist currently operating in the commercial buildings or industrial premises sector you may already possess the skills to operate at Levels 4 or 5 with little or no additional training, you can go through the APEL route to accreditation through the recognition of their existing knowledge and experience. Click here for more details of the APEL qualification route.
Leve 3 Diploma in Non-Domestic Energy Assessment
Day 1 & 5 Simplified Building Energy Model (SBEM) (Level 3 and 4)
- Principles of energy calculation and rating
- The structure of the iSBEM tool
- Data assembly and zoning rules
- Entering general information, building fabric, geometry and building services details
- Generating the EPC and recommendations report
Day 2 Commercial building construction and survey
- Recognising commonly occurring commercial building constructions
Determining the age of commercial property
Measuring and Survey techniques
Sources of information
Day 3 & 4 Building Services
- Basic principles
- Heating systems – heat generation and distribution
- Comfort cooling systems
- Hot water provision
- Sources of information
- Understanding the limits of a Level 3 assessment
- Carry out 2 Non-dom Building EPC Assignments (Candidate will need to find one Commercial Building for EPC production to complete the portfolio requirement)
Throughout the course the classroom learning will be supported by practical sessions as necessary during which you will survey a real building and collect the data needed to develop an energy model. This will give you practical experience of producing an EPC for a representative commercial building within a supported learning environment. The practical sessions will include assessment of the skills you have developed. The SBEM training includes a large element of valuable hands-on practise using case study exercises.
Once training is complete you will move into a period of assessment where you will demonstrate the practical application of the skills you have learned and provide evidence of your ability to practise competently as a Building Energy Assessor. You will show that you have the full range of skills and knowledge required by the National Occupational Standards by carrying out energy assessments and submitting these for formal assessment. For the Level 3 qualification you will be required to provide assessments on three Level 3 properties which meet the matrix requirements as described in the Qualification Handbook.
We would recommend that you read the Qualification Handbooks relevant to this qualification before you apply for training. See Downloads below.
Why BRE Training?
- Hands-on learning more than classroom learning with live on-screen use of the tools
- Interactive tutoring - Learn from your mistakes during the hands-on practice
- Learning from the experts - our trainers are in contact with the developers and so know the software and all the latest updates inside out
- Understanding the issues - our trainers are familiar with the issues that face assessors in the field and know the problems users have
- The full syllabus - BRE training does not skimp on what needs to be covered - we want you to gain confidence, and be ready to start productive work using all aspects of the software straight away
What do others say about BRE training:
- Excellent presentation in both quality and content
- Good to put the theory to practise
- BRE provides more than many other providers
- Excellent facilities for practical demonstrations
Costs and How to Apply
What is included in the programme:
- Course guidance materials
- All training fees for the standard 5 day
- Course manuals
- Lunch and refreshments on each day of the training programme
- Assessment fees
- Awarding Body registration and examination fees
- Access to software required for training and assessment
Level 3 Assessment and Training Fee: £1,850 +VAT
Please complete the registration form and acceptance form and send them to us together with your CV, course booking form and full payment. We will then respond with full details of assessment procedures, confirmation of training dates and joining instructions.
Address for all training and assessment programme registrations and applications:
BRE Training, Bucknalls Lane, Garston, Watford WD25 9XX
- Candidate Appeals Procedure
Terms and Conditions
For more information: